Solving My Paint Problem

I started trying to tackle my excessive paint problem today, while also starting a general clean out of my project area. My plan is to fit all my paints into a combination of on-desk racks, and shelves attached to the IKEA Skådis pegboards I have attached to the wall.

As I move paints from the cabinet to the shelves, I will probably find a bunch of paints that are no longer “good” through lack of use. That will be stage one of the cull – get rid of these bad paints. Stage two will be rationalising any duplicates; there’s likely to be more than one pot of the duplicates open, so I’ll try to combine them into one pot.

While testing the shelves I discovered that the dropper bottles used by some manufacturers allow me to fit nearly twice as many paints per shelf as the pots used by the others. I’ve ordered some empty dropper bottles and plan to decant the pots into these – hopefully reducing the space needed for paint even further! By my count, I can fit nine shelves, each holding 33 bottles. Even though there are some paints which can’t be decanted, that should be more than enough space for everything!

Once the paints are in order, my next job will be addressing all the other project supplies that are taking up space. I’m undecided if I want to try fit these all into the cabinet (once it’s free of paint) or eliminate the cabinet entirely – which means the sundries will have to be found a new home, or eliminated entirely. But that’s a problem for another day…

By Chris M.

Online since before some of you were born. Goth, but make it world-weary middle-aged dad. He/him/his. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s